Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crop top and bottom off video

Default Crop top and bottom off video

I have a H.264 .ts file recorded from TV. It is a film which has black bars top and bottom, and on the top bar the broadcaster's logo is superimposed.

What I want to do is cut the top and bottom off the video so I've selected just the actual video (i.e. not the black bars) and then output as a 16:9 file (so that black bars will be readded to the top and bottom but without the broadcaster's logo.

I've tried to do this with VRD TV Suite, but when I crop the top and bottom off, either the video distorts to fill the screen, or if I set it to maintain the aspect ratio and not distort, then the left and right also get cropped.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Gary

Create a custom profile and reduce the second resolution setting by the amount you're cropping (top+bottom).

For example, my SD video is saved for iPod Touch using a resolution of 640x368 since I'm cropping 60 from the top and 56 from the bottom.
    Sorry about that, Chief!

This is kind of up to the device you're playing it on. We do not offer a way to replace the top and bottom with black. All you can do is crop it off which normally will result in the remaining video being stretched to fill the resolution. You can do what msmart suggested and reduce the resolution to match your cropped video, however there is no guarantee it will play that way. Some devices will stretch the video to fit the aspect ration regardless of the resolution. The only way to truly accomplish this in VRD would be to do it in two passes. In the first pass you'd need to crop the video and set the resolution appropriately. In the second pass you'd have to add negative cropping (which will add black bars) and adjust the resolution back up. However doing this could introduce quality issues due to recoding twice, and would take a significant amount of time.

Dan
    Dan Haddix
    Developer

Thanks both for the replies.

Is there a wishlist for future versions? It would be good if VRD could crop and add black bars to maintain the aspect ratio as a feature.

Gary

Adding the black bars back to the video will increase the size of the video file. What are you using to view your video where it's distorted?
    Sorry about that, Chief!

Quote Originally Posted by msmart View Post
    Create a custom profile and reduce the second resolution setting by the amount you're cropping (top+bottom).

For example, my SD video is saved for iPod Touch using a resolution of 640x368 since I'm cropping 60 from the top and 56 from the bottom.
    I've now tried to do this. My video is HD (1920x1080). I want to cut 132 pixels from the top and bottom, so I went into the crop settings and entered 132 top and bottom. Then, I set the resolution to 816 (i.e. 1080-132-132). The aspect ratio defaulted to 1:1, so I changed this to the required 16:9, and saved the file.

The file output without any problems, but whatever I play it back with, plays full screen 16:9, so that it appears squished across the width.

Did I do something wrong?

Gary

What are you playing it on? If TV, what using to serve it to the TV?
    Sorry about that, Chief!

Quote Originally Posted by msmart View Post
    What are you playing it on? If TV, what using to serve it to the TV?
    I haven't got as far as putting it on disc to play on TV. I'm playing it in Windows Media Player. But, I've also tried reloading the output into VRD and it's distorted there too.

Gary

Hmmm. My cropped files look good in MP and VRD so I'm out of ideas for your HD files.
    Sorry about that, Chief!

Thanks, msmart.

I think the problem has to do with the aspect ratio setting in VRD. After I've cropped the video, and set the maximum output size to be smaller in height (816), the aspect ratio box always shows 1:1. That outputs a square video, so I change it to 16:9, but then I get a stretched video.

Can you confirm what setting you use for each of:

Aspect ratio
    Aspect ratio correction?

Thanks,

Gary