Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolby True HD & DTS Master Audio

Default Dolby True HD & DTS Master Audio

I've downloaded the trial version of the new TVSuite V.4.20.6.610, and tried making a test edit with a demo file from demoworld. This file is short 1080p with Dolby True HD audio as a H.264 file.

I've tried different things to the file before opening it with VRD with no avail.

Thus my question, Does VDR support lossless audio, it seems to me that this might be the problem.

Greatly interested on HD support, video and audio. Thanks

Leo

v4 supports Dolby Digital Plus, aka EAC3, but not True HD. And we don't support DTS at all. We're considering adding DTS support, but probably not MA.

You might be able to use eac3to to convert the audio to AC3 first, then it will open in VRD.

Dan
    Dan Haddix
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
    v4 supports Dolby Digital Plus, aka EAC3, but not True HD. And we don't support DTS at all. We're considering adding DTS support, but probably not MA.

You might be able to use eac3to to convert the audio to AC3 first, then it will open in VRD.

Dan
    Thanks Dan, however my intention is to leave the video and audio at its highest bit rate untouched, reencoding will not work for my intended project.

I've been using VRD since the earliest Tivo days(ty > Mpeg), great product, I hope it supports HD all the way around one day.

Leo

I assume your source is BluRay since that's the only thing I know of that uses TrueHD and DTS-MA, which means there is nothing you really need to edit. (i.e. no commercials) So what are you using VRD for? To convert the files to another format? If so you should know that most other containers don't support those audio formats either. I think TS, and maybe MKV, can do them, but that's it. If your intention is to remux BluRays to DVR-MS or WTV for playback in MCE (common usage) then you're going to have to recode the audio anyway.

Dan
    Dan Haddix
    Developer

I assume your source is BluRay since that's the only thing I know of that uses TrueHD and DTS-MA, which means there is nothing you really need to edit. (i.e. no commercials)
    Source material is mainly Blu-Ray, but HD Demo clips also. The intended project is to produce a High Definition Demo Disc, as mentioned in your main page, take the best parts of the material. There will be no joining or additional editing, other than extract the clips. There is a V.1 of such a disc already, if you are curious enough...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243227

Just trying to use better tools (VRD) that would give better results.

So what are you using VRD for? To convert the files to another format? If so you should know that most other containers don't support those audio formats either. I think TS, and maybe MKV, can do them, but that's it.
    The intention is/was to use VRD to cut the clips out at a specific frame instead of using time stamp codes as previously done.

Final product would be a Blu-Ray, so there is no problem with whatever the original audio is. No coding/muxing or reencoding/remuxing anything.

If your intention is to remux BluRays to DVR-MS or WTV for playback in MCE (common usage) then you're going to have to recode the audio anyway.

Dan
    Some of the guys interested in this project use HTPCs, and had managed to use the disc as produced taking advantage of the full HD audio and video.

I know is sounds easy just to add support for this or support for that, and is not, specially when you have a preview screen that needs to keep everything together, but I hope VRD considers full HD support in a near future.

So what are you using VRD for?
    I know this is an old thread, but I've got another answer for you: there are a few directors who don't know when to stop tinkering with their movies and refuse to sell high-quality versions of the originals.

Some of these movies can be improved a lot by removal of just a few scenes.

Also, the very few movies that span two Blu-Ray disks often have different lengths for the audio and video streams. This makes no difference until you try to re-join the movie into a single file.

We actually looked into this a while back. The licensing fees for these two formats, even just for decoding, are prohibitively expensive. These are formats used in professional level software costing hundreds or thousands of dollars, not a $75 consumer product. It's unlikely they'll ever be added to VideoReDo.

Dan
    Dan Haddix
    Developer

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I found my way here from a suggestion to my question over on AVS. My question is very similar to Leo's, in that I would like to pull some specific scenes from various bluray movies, however I don't require HD audio in my project. In fact I'd rather not have the HD audio. I would also like to sequence the various scenes together and add some text as well. Would VideoReDo work for me?

Blog Entries

You should be able to do that. If you have a problem with the text portion, let me know. We just found and fixed a bug with the titling and H.264.
    Dan Rosen ( VideoReDo )

Although you would have to rip the BluRay so that it has a standard AC3 track, or recode the HD audio track to standard AC3, MP2 or LPCM first or it wont even open in VideoReDo.

Dan
    Dan Haddix
    Developer