Thread: Ad Detective Enhancement

Default Ad Detective Enhancement

I vote for an enhancement for the Ad Detective.

The current Ad Detective looks for blank frames, which seems to be working for US TV stations.

In Germany, we typically don't have these blank frames. And you need to know that ads are not sent one at a time, but in blocks of two to ten minutes. Scanning trough the entire file for blank frame is simply a waste of time here.

Here in Germany, we typically have a station logo during broadcasts. These are normally static images, only one station uses a slightly moving logo. When an advertisement starts, the logo is removed, so it does not interfere with the ad.

Currently, I set the detection frame of the Ad Detective to this station logo only, and that works ... well, kind of OK. It helps to find the recording ranges where ads are, so I could quicker find the beginning and the end of the ad. But it takes some time, so I usually scan through the file by hand - that's faster.

But it would be great to have the ad detective detect the station logo and set the marker to the point where the logo vanishes (start of ad) and comes back (return to movie).

And this could also amazingly speed up the detection: you don't need to scan through the entire file frame by frame. You could jump, let's say, in 10 second intervals (customisable), look look if the logo is gone or not, and if it is jump back 10s, scan forward in 1sec interval to get closer, and finally go frame-by-frame to find the exact frame where the logo vanishes or comes back.

A two hour movie (7200 secs with hundredthousend of frames) could probably be scanned for ads in seconds(!), because only some 1440 video frames (!) need to be read for a rough estimation where the ads are, and a closer inspection only for a few short ranges of the file.

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this feature more in detail.
    Last edited by XYJkC1kkzZyG; February 19th, 2016 at 12:19 AM.

Blog Entries

We are actually working on updating AdDective right now, although it's not a quick project. The logo detection is part of that. I don't know how logos are displayed in Germany, but in the US the are often fairly translucent so we've been experimenting with edge detection to highlight the edges of the logo. Also, in the US, the logos don't appear until 10-20 seconds after the show resumes from an ad block. Another issue is finding the logo on the frame. Some stations put the logo on the lower left, other's on the lower right.

Can you upload a sample or two say from about 1 min before an ad-block to one minute after an ad-block? Maybe from a couple of different stations?
    Dan Rosen ( VideoReDo )

Sure.

Give me a few day to collect recordings from different stations. I'll put them in my drop box and send you a private message with the link when done.

Blog Entries

Really appreciate that. Please don't PM me, instead send the drop box info to us at support at videoredo .com
    Dan Rosen ( VideoReDo )

Do you want some UK samples as well? The BBC channels are obviously not a problem but I can do the same for some of the commercial channels if you like.

Dan,

any preferences on the file format?

Blog Entries

Yes,commercial UK samples would be great.

No preference on format, although smaller is better, although don't recode the file, want the original frames except at clip points.
    Dan Rosen ( VideoReDo )

I do quite a bit of commercial removal from US OTA broadcasts and While Ad-Detective helps greatly, it appears that the detection of blank frames is often inaccurate.

Finding a very dark scene is not the problem, Ad-Detective does find blank frames but the blank frame it selects seems to be random (perhaps I just don't understand the algorithm).

Can you add detection of no audio to the scheme somehow to better find commercial breaks?

I find that often sound comes up before the video does and also sound trains off for several seconds after the video has gone blank.

Blog Entries

That feature has been implemented in the latest beta. I find that it works quite well in avoiding those false positives. On show that we are still having problems with is "Designated Survivor". In come cases there are no black frames, but in other cases, the silent audio actually comes about 2-3 frames after the black fades back into the show.

Latest beta is here: http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/sh...ild-5-1-3-746f
    Dan Rosen ( VideoReDo )

Lately, Australian TV channels have been making ad-detection much more challenging.

The old Ad-Detective, even with well-honed generic parameters, just doesn't cut the mustard for me any more. Instead, I now need multiple ad-scan profiles, using various combinations of Ad-Detective's new bells and whistles.

The enhancements in beta 746f look promising. I hope that, in due course, you will add the following timesavers to the UI:-

1. Ability to scan just a marked section of the file, instead of the whole file. *Essential*, for speeding up the process of trying out ad-scan settings or profiles.

2. Internal storage and access of ad-scan profiles, along the same lines as encoder profiles perhaps.

3. Ability to choose an ad-scan profile, when adding a file to the batch manager for scanning.

4. A help button, that brings up a clear summary of what all the parameters are for.

Thanks, and well done to you VRD folk!
    TobyW