PDA

View Full Version : Date format in Log File

Tudor
August 1st, 2006, 01:02 PM
I like the easy way to access the log file in the latest beta. Just noticed a very minor problem, it's always been there, in that the date does not use the setting from the machine, but assumes US format of mm/dd/yy. Us people across the pond much prefer dd/mm/yy!

Tudor

McoreD
August 2nd, 2006, 01:26 AM
I agree with the idea of using setting from the machine. I prefer the ISO 8601 standard which is documented here: http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/popstds/datesandtime.html

So using system setting (YYYY-MM-DD for me) would make everybody happy. :)

murrayt
August 2nd, 2006, 05:47 AM
It is minor in the scheme of things but living in Oz it would be good if the date obeyed the local customs.

DanR
August 2nd, 2006, 07:47 AM
Our guidelines are that numbers, dates and times when intended to be used by the end-user be regionalized. However, the log file is intended for support purposes and having different date formats would cause confusion here at VideoReDo. The ISO format is a good idea, and unless there are objections one we will implement.

Anole
August 2nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
After reading the above, I've given the matter a bit of thought.
I'd have to say it makes a good deal of sense to use the ISO 8601 date format in the log, instead of any regionalized (or American standard) format.

It sould be a fairly minor change, and I hope it doesn't domino into any fresh problems :)
Just another bit of polish to an already fine program.

Tudor
August 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
ISO sounds fine to me.

DanR
August 2nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
We can put this matter to rest. ISO time for the next beta.