Muxing H.264 file results in 101 video frames being dropped

MrVideo

Active member
I tried muxing a H.264@4:2:0 file with an AC3 file, only to have VRDPro throw away 101 video frames. Looking at the result, I was able to see that it was messed up. The h.264 TS file was created by VRDPro, i.e, it was the result of a 2-pass re-encode of a HEVC@4:2:2 file.

I took the same two streams and muxed them using tsmuxer 2.6.15 (the new one) and it muxed without issues and VRDPro had no issues with the new TS file. I was able to edit the file without any errors.
 

Attachments

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
Try again when 812 is released and see if it's fixed. There are a number of ES fixes in 812.
 

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
MrV, if you like upload the audio and video ES streams and we can run it through here before posting the beta publicly. Might save a step.
 

MrVideo

Active member
OK, I tested a HEVC@4:2:2 muxing and it failed. I got the yellow exclamation point of death and had to abort. A 0k file was created.

Also, one still cannot drag and drop an ES file to VRDPro and have it show up. One has to browse for the HEVC file.

I'll be testing an H.264@4:2:0 muxing after the HEVC file has been re-encoded.
 

Attachments

MrVideo

Active member
Yes, the TS file of the ABC network feed, which is 720p HEVC@4:2:2. That file contains the video stream and 5 MPA audio streams, three of which are used to create the DD5.1 AC3 stream.

Tonight, the first thing I did was create the AC3 stream by using my script that calls eac3to to extract the HEVC video and 3 of the audio streams to create 6 mono wave files. I then use ffmpeg to create the AC3 stream. As pointed out above, the HEVC muxing of the HEVC stream and the new AC3 stream failed to work.

I then took the original TS file and ran it thru VRDPro in order to 2-pass re-encode the video to H.264@4:2:0. I then used the same script to extract the H264 stream and create the AC3 stream. I then used VRDPro to mux the two streams and ended up with the error, as noted above and in the log file.

I ultimately used tsmuxer 2.6.15 to mux the H.264 and AC3 streams. I then edited that TS file, for which there were zero errors.
 

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
1. Why didn't you simply create the 5.1 AC3 stream from the 3 MPA streams in VRD Pro and skip the eac3 and ffmpeg step?

2. Why don't you start by uploading the 720p HEVC@4:2:2 file and I'll see if we can work from that. But, keep the ES streams around in case we still need to use those to duplicate the error?

There should be > 10 GB available on the upload site. Don't forget to send the email after the upload. Thanks.
 

MrVideo

Active member
It took me a while to figure out how to get the 2-ch MPA files to be mixed. But, you can't go higher than 384 Kbps in the bitrate, I want 640 Kbps. Even if you type in 640, it goes back to 384. I had to save the new profile, edit the 384 to 640 and import it back into the profiles.

This a lot quicker than the way I was doing it. But, I wouldn't have discovered the muxing issues if I hadn't. I'll get the file uploaded over the weekend.
 

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the 384 limit is a bug. We will get it fixed. Did the manually edited profile work? Good idea manually editing the profile. If you like to live dangerously you can edit the profile directly without the import/export. The file is located in: Documents\VideoReDo

Send the email to support when the uploads are completed.
 

jmc

Active member
I've found that if I don't get the bitrate I want listed(AC3) I select another (like AAC)
then select the bitrate I want with AAC selected.
Change AAC selection to AC3 and the bitrate I had selected with AAC stays.
 

MrVideo

Active member
Yes, the 384 limit is a bug. We will get it fixed. Did the manually edited profile work? Good idea manually editing the profile. If you like to live dangerously you can edit the profile directly without the import/export. The file is located in: Documents\VideoReDo

Send the email to support when the uploads are completed.
Yes, the manually edited profile worked. It was you guys that suggested it in the past with VRD5. I wasn't going to go hunting for the master file, so I just did the export/import, which took less time than searching for the master.

I've taken the 1+ hr of the original TS file and trimmed it down to 15min. I'm running some tests with it.

1) Using eac3to v3.34, VRDPro doesn't like the hevc file that is created. I get the yellow mark of death.
2) Using VRDPro to create the hevc file, VRDPro will mux that hevc file and the ffmpeg create AC3 file, but I get 1 audio error and 30 video resync frames removed.
3) Used tsmuxer 2.6.15 (Jan 7 nightly build) with the eac3to extracted hevc and the ffmpeg AC3 file, which I am currently re-encoding to H.264.
4) Used eac3to to extract the H.264 stream.
5) Used VRDPro to remux. Got TS stream error: Buffer overflow in percolate.
6) Used VRDPro to create H.264/AC3 streams and then used VRDPro to remux. 1 audio error and 30 Video Resync frames removed.

Those are the things that I've done. Hopefully you can reproduce.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom