Saving Matroska File Format

GAZZA

Member
Hi
For some reason, when I endeavour to save my VRDTVSuite6 videos recorded from the TV in .mkv format, they will open on my PC, but the screen is unreadable. I do not have the same problem with VRDTVSuite5. I need to be able to save them in the .mkv format as sometiimes, depending how long the video is, my TV's freeze after a certain time with .mp4 formats. I understand that is a samsung issue. I notice in the Change log that some "Fix" had been made to .mkv format? They will not play on my PC using Windows Media Player or the Windows 10 video player. To add more mystery to this, I can play them on the TV no problem it is just my PC.

1635610267260.png
 

cp2

Member
I reported a similar problem a while ago. My LG would not play V6 mkv files but would if created by V5. The files played ok on my pc and my Samsung tv.
I found a pragmatic fix: I use V6, output in ts format and then remux it with MKVTools (I am a fan!). The subsequent mkv file plays fine on all my devices.
The interplay between software playback programs, hardware devices and file formats is not easy. I admit to not pursuing this problem beyond an initial posting but sorting out a hardware glitch like this could be tricky without access to the same equipment.
 

GAZZA

Member
Well, I have tried it with no success. The only way I could produce a .mkv file of the video was by inputting the .ts file which has all the advertisments that I am trying to cut out. I tried to input an .mkv and output an .mkv, and hit the remux output button, but no success. Maybe you could spell out what you do?
 

cp2

Member
My source files are mostly ts anyway so I edit it removing adverts and then output it as a ts. I do compress at the same time so I have created new output profiles that set the output codec to ts regardless of the source's codec. (Standard transport stram output profiles are "match source").
I can then remux that ts output to mkv using mkvtools.
You can remux a mkv to another mkv but I don't think that this does it: is as I think mkvtools doesn't recode enough in these circumstances actual remuxing from ts to mkv that seems to reset things for me.
I did this because I believe that the mkv coding used by VRD has subtly changed with V6 and the resultant output is not as universally accetped as I would like. What I do is a fix but it isn't too time consuming once a suitable output profile has been created and it seems to work. Ideally the VRD team adjust things but it could be tricky to replicate.
 

GAZZA

Member
Thanks again for your help. I have done another one this morning exactly as you said and it worked fine. I have started to use Quick Stream Fix prior to taking out the advertisements recently and maybe that was part of it. Hopefully you may have helped me find a solution. I am in NZ, and have been watching a lot of programs for the last 8 weeks as we have been in lockdown. Still got another 2 - 3 weeks to go apparently. I have never had this problem with V5, but I upgraded to 6 hoping that things may speed up a bit and there would be some other helpful changes. Unfortunately I came across this problem.
Regards
 
Top Bottom