VRD TVSuite - Ad detective not working

lynnalexandra

New member
I use Tivo to record shows and movies. I have the latest version - 3.20.2.609. Whenever I use the program I check for updates but there haven't been any in a while. I have a Premier and Elite. I use Tivo Desktop to get them to my computer. When I try to use VideoReDo to edit out commercials, it is so wildly inaccurate that it's unusable.

I noticed this a while ago (summer perhaps) - but thought it might be a quirk of the shows I was working on editing - So YouThink You Can Dance and American Idol. And since I wanted to edit out more of those shows than just the commercials, I was inclined to edit each video manually anyway. I thought perhaps the scene changes and shifts were different for those shows.

But now I'm trying to edit commercials out of movies and sitcoms. And the edits are not even close. It's not like just one miss. All the cuts seem random - I do not know what the software is responding to in making those selections - but the red areas and green areas are both full of actual program (movie or sitcome) - and commercials. The program has not edited out commercials with any accuracy.

At this point I have several terabytes of video to edit - and can't bear the idea of doing them all by hand.

Any ideas? I am a real newbie at this so I'm likely not to understand anything too technical.

Thanks.
Lynn.
 

lynnalexandra

New member
Hi, Pat.

That was so helpful. I did not realize there were settings I could change. So I went in and changed the area so that the logo appeared outside the red square. I also checked and there were plenty of black frames. I also reset the black levels to match a black frame that I selected.

However - maybe I needed those changes, but going through those menu options also made me realize that I think I've been doing it wrong. When I first got VRD, the ad detective worked fine. Then I was away from my video editing for a long time. When I returned, it didn't work. But what happened was I'd changed how I did it. I was opening the file and it would start playing. Then I immediately hit start ad detective. It was searching the file quite slowly - and inaccurately.

This time - once I had the video loaded but paused, then I started ad detective. And it scanned the file very quickly - way quicker than when I loaded it and it started playing and then I hit ad detective. And this time it worked.

So I don't know if it's because of the two changes I made to the ad detective parameters. Or because I had the video paused at the beginning - and then ran ad detective.

One or both of those changes enabled it to work.

Thanks.
Lynn.
 
Top Bottom