Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Hauppauge HD-PVR?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    412

    Default

    If you're only going to be capturing from a TV aerial/antenna to a computer, why not just get a basic capture card such as one of Hauppauge's WinTV models or an external dongle? I don't have any experience with the HD PVR units but my understanding is that their primary purpose is to record from existing cable/satellite boxes, games machines, etc. rather than simply recording TV shows.

    The Hauppauge software is very basic. Have a look at Media Portal for a front end which looks lovely, has a great TV guide, lets you schedule and play back recordings, etc. and works very well. It's a little bit fiddly to set up at first but once it's working it's great.

  2. #12

    Default

    Simon, I'm going to be capturing programs from a Fios cable box. I'll be getting a laptop so I need an external 'capture card'.

    The HD-PVR can be used as a DVR connected to a PC.

    Does Media Portal work with Fios?

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crowe-t View Post
    What computer do you use? What processor does it have? What type of hard drive do you use? I forgot to ask?
    Sorry reply took so long, haven't checked this forum in a while. The main capture computer is an old 2009 AMD X4-940 with 4G memory. CPU power needed for Hauppauge capture is minimal - AMD 940 can clock from 800-3200MHz, but spends most time at 800MHz - cool and silent. The CPU in not loaded by capture - HD-PVR box does most of the work and all the computer has to do is accept USB input and write it to file on the HDD.
    I use a 4TB Seagate 5900rpm HDD. Capacity is more important than speed as the stream from the HD-PVR is already compressed AVC.

    My main system is a Ryzen 1800x (8c/16t/4GHz), 16GB memory, EVO-960 512GB M2 SSD Boot drive, 4TB 7200rpm HDD storage. Do some secondary capture on this computer when 2 shows are on at once, but it is mainly for editing and encoding with VRD and x264 software.

    Again, cpu power and speed required are minimal. 4GB Memory is fine. I would want a SATA III hdd, but doesn't have to be fast rpm. Same with USB.
    The old AMD 940 MB only had USB 2.0 and captured fine. Did put a PCIe USB 3.0 card in, but that was to speed up backups to portable drives, not for the HD-PVR.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonP View Post
    If you're only going to be capturing from a TV aerial/antenna to a computer, why not just get a basic capture card such as one of Hauppauge's WinTV models or an external dongle?
    In the US, there is limited availability of "free" OTA tv since we went all digital. If you are in an urban area, you might get 6-10 HDTV stations with an aerial to a digital tuner card. The rest of us must have cable or sat boxes which have HDCP encrypted output to prevent capture. I live in a rural, hilly area and there is 0 OTA reception - no primary or repeaters in line-of-sight range. I do get hundreds of channels in HD, but have to use a HDMI splitter and HD-PVR to capture off cable without triggering HDCP.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I don't know about the others, but I have a 1212 on an HTPC I built 7 years ago. i5 Win 7. On this machine, I use Windows Media Center for recording. My DirecTV receiver is set to change channels by itself at the appropriate times.

    I have an HD-PVR 1515 on my 6-year-old Windows 7 desktop computer running an i7. On this one, I have Hauppauge's own software. Again, the DirecTV receiver is set to change channels on its own. Because I have a mix of Hauppauge tuner cards in both machines, the IR functionality for the capture devices just doesn't work.

    Hope that helps.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post

    The HD-PVR streams over USB (2.0 or 3)to your pc where a A/V file is created. There are lots of output options, but I prefer to have it create a "TS" file containing 1080i or 720p x264 video at 10Mbps with either AAC 256 2ch or passthru AC3 6ch. This can later be edited and recoded with VRD to whatever format I desire.

    The HD-PVR system is powerful, flexible and has been doing thousands of hours of capture for me over the years - highly recommend it
    Why do you have the HD-PVR 2 create a "TS" file? Doesn't it also create H.264 files?

    How does the HD-PVR 2 pass AC3 6CH audio? Does the optical digital(SPDIF) input accept AC3 and pass it along to the PC?

  7. #17

    Default

    Why do you have the HD-PVR 2 create a "TS" file? Doesn't it also create H.264 files?
    H264 is not a file - it is a type of video encoding you put inside a file. You are confusing the "box" with the stuff inside. The HD-PVR does encode video to AVC(h264), but the video needs to be combined with some audio and packaged into a file. It would be a nightmare to put the entire video data followed by the entire audio data - too hard to sync the frame with the sound if the info was at opposite ends of the file. The various container specifications (AVI, TS, MP4, MKV, etc) determine how the video stream will be split up into sections and interweaved with sections of audio data. This is Muxing or multiplexing. The HD-PVR can put the video & audio it creates into either a .MP4, .TS or .M2TS container - I've just had better luck with the TS when I import into VRD.

    How does the HD-PVR 2 pass AC3 6CH audio? Does the optical digital(SPDIF) input accept AC3 and pass it along to the PC?
    The HD-PVR2 has inputs for analog stereo, digital optical and HDMI. I am using an HDMI splitter to feed both audio and video to the HD-PVR2, so I get whatever the cable box has. The cable company and cable box feeds 6ch for most stations. The cable box audio setup has a setting for L-PCM audio over the HDMI, which gets me the full 6 channel AC3 if the station has it. That said, I usually convert audio to 2ch AAC with VRD while editing the video. I find the 6ch AC3 from the cable to be low volume and with most programs, 384/448 6ch surround adds little and only makes the file larger. I'd rather spend databits on better video quality.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    H264 is not a file - it is a type of video encoding you put inside a file. You are confusing the "box" with the stuff inside. The HD-PVR does encode video to AVC(h264), but the video needs to be combined with some audio and packaged into a file. It would be a nightmare to put the entire video data followed by the entire audio data - too hard to sync the frame with the sound if the info was at opposite ends of the file. The various container specifications (AVI, TS, MP4, MKV, etc) determine how the video stream will be split up into sections and interweaved with sections of audio data. This is Muxing or multiplexing. The HD-PVR can put the video & audio it creates into either a .MP4, .TS or .M2TS container - I've just had better luck with the TS when I import into VRD.


    The HD-PVR2 has inputs for analog stereo, digital optical and HDMI. I am using an HDMI splitter to feed both audio and video to the HD-PVR2, so I get whatever the cable box has. The cable company and cable box feeds 6ch for most stations. The cable box audio setup has a setting for L-PCM audio over the HDMI, which gets me the full 6 channel AC3 if the station has it. That said, I usually convert audio to 2ch AAC with VRD while editing the video. I find the 6ch AC3 from the cable to be low volume and with most programs, 384/448 6ch surround adds little and only makes the file larger. I'd rather spend databits on better video quality.
    I'm definitely confusing the "box" with the stuff inside but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Thanks for the explanation.

    If I can't get the splitter to work with my Fios box, will I be able to use the analog component cables and the digital optical to record 6 channel AC3?

    Have you tried recording in .M2TS and editing in VRD?

  9. #19

    Default

    I am currently running 6 HDPVR2 grabbing from Directv STBs on one computer successfully. I use NextPVR as the MediaCenter and I use networking Tuning instead of IR blasting. If I were you, forget the IR blasting and go with the network tuning. I've had practically no glitches since dumping IR blasting.

    ----> "If I can't get the splitter to work with my Fios box, will I be able to use the analog component cables and the digital optical to record 6 channel AC3?"

    Yes! You can with NextPVR. Not only do I suggest you go with anolog component cables for video, I heavily encourage it. Television is 300 channels of different network providers airing their content at different frame rates, formats, bit rates and audio formats. Its literally 300 CHANNELS OF FREAKEN FORMAT DIVERSITY HELL! So to make things easier on your computer, there are ways to make your STB do part of the work at normalizing your video and audio. Its not perfect, but it works.


    -----> "Have you tried recording in .M2TS and editing in VRD?"

    I don't recommend M2TS for this. I'd stick with .TS as your recording format and .mp4 as your archive format. NextPVR can output an XML metadata file along with each TS recording that VAP/VRD/HANDBRAKE will use to create your MP4 and embedded it with metadata. VRD 5 cuts h264 mp4 just fine now. You can do two configurations in VAP. Config-1 can handle compression and mp4 creation. Config-2 for commercial tracking and cutting.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jtcreate View Post
    I am currently running 6 HDPVR2 grabbing from Directv STBs on one computer successfully. I use NextPVR as the MediaCenter and I use networking Tuning instead of IR blasting. If I were you, forget the IR blasting and go with the network tuning. I've had practically no glitches since dumping IR blasting.

    ----> "If I can't get the splitter to work with my Fios box, will I be able to use the analog component cables and the digital optical to record 6 channel AC3?"

    Yes! You can with NextPVR. Not only do I suggest you go with anolog component cables for video, I heavily encourage it. Television is 300 channels of different network providers airing their content at different frame rates, formats, bit rates and audio formats. Its literally 300 CHANNELS OF FREAKEN FORMAT DIVERSITY HELL! So to make things easier on your computer, there are ways to make your STB do part of the work at normalizing your video and audio. Its not perfect, but it works.


    -----> "Have you tried recording in .M2TS and editing in VRD?"

    I don't recommend M2TS for this. I'd stick with .TS as your recording format and .mp4 as your archive format. NextPVR can output an XML metadata file along with each TS recording that VAP/VRD/HANDBRAKE will use to create your MP4 and embedded it with metadata. VRD 5 cuts h264 mp4 just fine now. You can do two configurations in VAP. Config-1 can handle compression and mp4 creation. Config-2 for commercial tracking and cutting.
    Along with the component cables I can use the digital input to record 6 channel audio?

    After I record in .TS then use Handbrake to save in .mp4?

    What is network tuning?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •